Funeral & Burial Benefits for Veterans

Military Discharge

In order to apply for Veteran’s benefits, whether federal or local, you will need a military discharge. The discharge can be War time or Peace time issued under conditions other than dishonorable. (Example: DD214, General Discharge, or a Report of Separation from the Armed Services) if a military discharge is not available Devlin Funeral Home can help you receive one, however, it can be a length process.

  • If a copy of the discharge was registered in Allegheny County, you can contact the Department of Real Estate, 101 County Office Bldg., Pittsburgh, PA 15219, 412-350-4226, 412-350-3787 (Fax)
  • National Military Personnel Record Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63118. Veterans can call 314-263-2800 or online at

If you have a military discharge, we strongly advise that you keep it in a convenient location, with a copy of it on file at the ACFDA funeral home of your choice.

United State of America Flag

Veterans with a military discharge other than dishonorable are entitled to receive a US flag to drape the casket or be with the urn. Each veteran is entitled to one flag.

Military Funeral Honors

A basic Military Honors Ceremony consists of two members of the Armed Forces. At least one of the Funeral Honors Detail will be from a branch of the Armed Forces in which the deceased veteran served. The Funeral Honor Detail will fold and present the flag to the designated next-of-kin and Taps will be played. The family will need to provide, at the time of death, a discharge or separation papers other than dishonorable. Also, local Veteran Service Organizations may complement the Military Honors Detail (i.e., the discharge of rifles).

Presidential Memorial Certificate

A Presidential Memorial Certificate is available to honor a deceased Veteran with an honorable discharge. The certificate is signed by the sitting president at the time of application.

PA Department of Vital Records

In the Commonwealth of PA, free certified copies of the death certificate are available for the Veteran, spouse, or dependent child of the Veteran. (If at the time of death, residency is not in PA, consult the state of residency for the regulation of free Veteran Death Certificates). The free certified death certificates take approximately 4-6 weeks to obtain.

Burial in the National Cemetery of the Alleghenies

For the most part, any honorably discharged Veteran is eligible for burial in the National Cemetery. It is imperative to have the honorable discharge at the time of death in order to apply for burial. If approved, the grave space, outer burial container, marker, and opening fees are provided free of charge for the Veteran, spouse, and dependent children (subject to approval by National Cemetery of the Alleghenies).

  • Cremated remains can be buried or entombed
  • Grave spaces cannot be reserved in advance. Graves are assigned on an as needed basis.
  • No burials on Holidays or Weekends.

Veterans Monetary Burial Benefits


Veterans in receipt of some form of compensation from the VA or if a death occurs in a VA Hospital.

  • Burial Allowance of $780.00
  • Interment or Plot Allowance of $780.00
  • Also, if a death occurs in a VA Hospital or a designated facility, a transportation allowance is provided for transportation of the deceased from the VA Hospital, to either the funeral home or final resting place.
  • Service Connected Allowance: The VA will pay a burial allowance up to $2000.00 if the veteran’s death is service-connected.

For more information, please visit

Southwestern PA Counties

Each county in Southwestern PA has benefits for veterans. They all provide flag holders and flags for Veterans graves. Distribution systems vary. Other veterans death benefits include:

  • Allegheny County
    • Wartime Veteran Burial Allowance …$100
    • Wartime Widow’s Burial Allowance…$100
    • Marker Allowance…$50
  • Beaver County
    • Wartime Veteran Burial Allowance…$75
    • Wartime Widow’s Burial Allowance…$75
    • Marker Allowance…$50
  • Butler County
    • Wartime Veterans Burial Allowance…$75
    • Wartime Widow’s Burial Allowance…$75
    • Marker Allowance…$50

Headstone or Markers For a Veteran’s Grave

Honorably discharged Veterans (whether War time or Peace time), Active Duty members, Retired Reservists and National Guard members are eligible for an inscribed headstone or marker to mark their grave at any cemetery in the world; Most cemeteries charge for the foundation and installation of a veterans headstone/marker. Devlin Funeral Home will assist you in filing the application.

VA/GI Insurnace

Some Veterans have carried their life insurance which was issued while in the military service. For claims or information call 1-800-669-8477.

Important Phone Numbers

Butler County Chamber of Commerce

Start typing and press Enter to search


Get the latest updates from Devlin Funeral Home: